lanai city, hawaii, 96763

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Mystery of the Pink Slips

Today we stopped off at the post office. I opened my box, and inside I found a pink slip notifying me that I had certified mail. Certified mail, I thought, man I'm special. But as I turned the corner, I saw how long the line was, and I decided to save the pickup for another day. On my way back to the car, however, I passed Crystal, and she was staring intently at her own personal pink slip.

"Hey, I got one of those today, too." I say. "How random is that?"

"This is the first time I see this kind of note," she replies in a wondering voice.

I get into the car and we drive off. As we pull out, we pass Richard, and yet again, in his hand he has a pink slip. "Alright," I say out loud. "That's too much of a coincidence. I gotta find out what's going on." We pull over and I go back inside to stand in line. There I find that Nani has also been slapped by the Pink Slip Bandit. But she's already picked up and signed for her certified note, and we all crowd around her, eager to find out what it's all about.

It turns out that it's a letter sent by Four Seasons Resorts to all of The Lodge at Koele workers stating that we were, in fact, shutting down by the end of summer. They paid $1.85 per letter to let each of us know that it was official. A buck eighty-five, I thought, I could have pocketed that change and bought me a day in SouthEast Asia. But instead it was spent on sending me a mysterious pink slip.

So now we all know that, without a doubt, the Lodge will be closing for three months. That was the important "certified" news. I still would've taken the spare change.

But anyway, after much debate over what my options were, I've currently settled on three specific choices:

I could...

1) Pray for M.T.S. to happen while we're shut down... my ultimate GOAL!

And if that doesn't go through this fall than I could...

2) Book a flight to the Philippines to find a wife

Nah (mom), just kidding. I'd actually be working with a congregation in Vintar, a province in Northern Luzon, trying to become more fluent with my Ilokano, the local dialect here on Lana'i. (But seriously, you'd be surprised how many Filipino's here can't think of any other reason to go there but to get married!)

or 3) Stay. Work. Focus.

And these are my choices. All are good. Not one is bad. Although some may be better than others. I just have to figure out which one is best.

And that, my good munchkins, will be my next big baby step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home